http://nikon101.blogspot.com/

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Travels of an agoraphobic

My first scribblings in a blog - I hope it works out. Let me know with comments.

I am agoraphobic. That means a fear of travel. Actually, a fear of leaving the house, not just travelling. But, I was able (with medication), to travel to Italy in the 1980's and it was wonderful.

Amazingly, almost all of my fears disappeared when I was in Italy. I was happy for the first time in a long time. I barely needed medication. That in itself is a minor miracle. I never had such a good time and I'm dying to go back.

That's what this will be about - this blog will be about; getting back to Italy and Bergamo. Bergamo is the city where I spent a lot of time, kind of our "base camp." My travel companion had friends there; that was the reason for the trip, she had been invited by her friends to visit. I was asked to come along as a kind of chaperone.
I had never been outside of the USA, and I fell in love with Italy. Especially Bergamo.

I keep thinking about it, thinking about how to get back there. To feel the same sense of peace and wonder that I felt the first and only time that I traveled to Bergamo.

I'll try to explain it but maybe you have to be agoraphobic to understand. I hope not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nikon said...

Hi, thanks for the comment - you are the first :)
Agoraphobia is a tough one - and the armchair travelling of the web is fun; but still it's not like really looking up at the mountains outside the window!
Best,
Paul

5:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Paul,
I came here from SlowTrav's
SlowTalk.
Am intrigued that you're a freelance journalist. How do you do that with your predicament?

At any rate, very nice start on this blog. On some of the illustrations, if you got them from somewhere, you'll need to give credit to the creator.

Nice choice of illustrations! Loved the watercolor looking version of that photo.

Good luck on licking the agoraphobia. I just got back from Italy recently and would hate having that feeling, but I have an inkling what that must be like. You've my empathy (!)

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home